I have released four recipe books so far:

The Best of the Sunny Raw Kitchen
The Best of Raw Freedom Community
Delightfully Raw and
Deliciously Raw

These feature some of the most delectable creations to have come out of my raw kitchen and will appeal to anyone interested in a healthier diet, regardless of their level of knowledge and experience. From easy one-step everyday fare to more elaborate and involved gourmet dishes and layered cakes, they offer something for everyone and every occasion. Incredibly tasty smoothies, creamy and comforting warm soups, sexy salads, delicious nut cheezes, satisfying entrees and scrumptious guilt-free desserts...

Healthy food never tasted so good!

To learn more about my recipe books, click here!

Monday, July 14, 2008

Recipe of the Week: Jalapeno Burgers

When I finished testing the last recipe for my 'Best of Raw Freedom Community' ebook, I told Don I'd be taking a break from the kitchen for a week. Yeah, right! As though I could stay that long without playing with food! lol

After two or three days off (well hey, that's better than nothing, right?), I decided to ease back into raw food prep with a short 'D Day' - that's 'Dehydrator Day' for the non-initiated. ;-) I whipped up a few things that require just a few hours of dehydration: Ani Phyo's Black Sesame Sunflower Bread (for the umpteenth time!), Chryssy's Kale Goddess Chips, Gina Panayi (the Raw Greek)'s Olive Bread and Alissa Cohen's Bean-less Falafels.

Playing in my new kitchen...
As you can see, we've covered the stove in order to get extra counter space.


The truth is that I couldn't wait to try Ocean's favorite burger recipe which she shared a while back on Raw Freedom Community Forum. Sometime, uncooking gems slip right under my nose, but thankfully, I can count on other RFC members to keep bringing them to my attention. Those burgers are really awesome!!! Love, love them! And the fact that they don't require much dehydration is a real bonus. Another meal that can be whipped up in no time. Yay! Definitely a new favorite!


Jalapeno Burgers

From The Daily Raw Cafe
Posted by Ocean on Raw Freedom Community

1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 cup walnuts, soaked for 4 hours
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked until very soft, reserve 1/8 cup soaking water
1 tablespoon Nama Shoyu
1 teaspoon Hamburger seasonings
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

In a food processor, combine walnuts, sun-dried tomatoes and soaking water until you achieve a meat consistency. Remove from processor.

In a mixing bowl, lightly mix together walnut meat, onions, jalapeno peppers, Nama Shoyu, salt and pepper.

Shape into 6 patties. Serve.

Optional: Dehydrate at 115 degrees for 1 hour.

Carmella's Notes:
~ I used only half a jalapeño (to be safe) and green onion instead of onion. I also subbed hamburger seasonings with salt-free spike. It turned out just the right spiciness for us.

~ I dehydrated the burgers for a couple of hours at 115 or so, and served them with pesto, but they are so tasty that they would be delish on their own.

~ This makes 6 fairly small patties (they were meant as sliders which are miniature hamburgers.) Next time, I'll at least double the recipe; sure wouldn't mind eating those burgers two days in a row as they are so darn good!


I served them with a mixed green salad (fresh from the garden!), home grown sprouts and a recipe I hadn't made in ages, Avocado Fries, which perfectly complemented our meal. Oh my! What a feast!

16 comments:

  1. today is my ice cream and d day also... I cracked 4 young coconuts and turned them into 3 tasty ice cream flavors and I have some jalapeno corn chips in the dehydrator as we speak... I want to make a good bread for sandwiches to take to work during the week. I got your ebook, do you have any suggestions from it or suggestions from another source. I need a fail proof awesome sandwich bread. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh!!!!! I'm so jealous! I want young coconuts too!!!! ;-)

    About bread, Ani's Black sesame bread is awesome (recipe on RFC) and so are the Pajon, Flax and Brushchetta breads from the ebook. The onion bread would be also great, but you might want to take your spread/toppings along and assemble the sammy at work to avoid it getting soggy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome thanks... I am thinking onion bread is going to be the way I go since I just got two amazing Walla Walla Sweet onions, a mild sweet onion grown just on the other side of the state from me.
    By the way, I am slowly devouring the ebook and I am really enjoying all the great pictures and recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey hot Mama! ;) Those are gorgeous and we look forward to getting your cookbook! BTW I filched a picture of your trifle cake, and linked back to you. If this isn't ok I'll delete it. But I just have to tell everyone about my fav raw chef!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HeHe.. I can always count on you to put a smile on my face, yardsnacker! ;-)

    No prob about the trifle cake pic. That's what we had for dessert last night, btw. Mmmmmmmmmmm You'll just have to try this one when you get the ebook. Oh, and the Hazelnut Pie... and the Strawberry Shortcake... and the Apricot Parfaits... and the Chocolate Orange Cake and, and, and... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Those burgers look like the real thing don't they?! Sounds wonderful - I'll have to try.

    Your "short d-day" is busier than most of my regular or long d-days! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your blog. Added it as one of my favourite blogs on my blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey carmella, just wondering where you get your raw cashews... I don't live too far from you , I need to find a source ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carmella, As usual the food looks wonderful...but I cannot get over how gorgeous YOU look in the top photo. The picture of raw sun kissed health!

    --Apasaraw

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those burgers look wonderful and easy! I need to try them out and shake my world up a bit. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely Carmi - you have been awarded by me! I always get hungry reading your posts (even when I'm full). ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rosie,
    You just GOTTA try these burgers; they really rawk!

    Lol... 'Short' referred more to the dehydration time than the amount of goodies cuz, as usual, I had my dear D full to the brim. ;-)


    Thanks RawCaribeña. Glad you're enjoying my site.


    Apasaraw,
    Awwww...Thanks, that's really sweet! You're gonna make me blush! lol


    Kombuchachic,
    Your name sounds really familiar... did you use to hang out on RFT?

    ReplyDelete
  13. sarabeth,

    Really? Where are you located?

    I have a confession to make... I buy non raw cashews as the raw ones are too pricey for my humble budget. I order other goodies such as coconut oil, cacao butter, agave, etc. from Real Raw Food, a Canadian distributor in the Okanagan. I'm pretty sure they carry raw cashews so you might want to look them up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I want some of these now!!
    Question: what constitutes "Hamburger seasonings"?

    ReplyDelete
  15. marciferous,

    Not sure actually... I always sub with salt-free spike, but I'm sure it would be equally nice with whatever herb seasonings you have on hand.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy! Definitely trying the burgers and avocado fries!

    ReplyDelete